Kathal ke beej ki sabzi – Jackfruit seeds delicately stir fried in a hot spicy sauce.
Kathal ke beej ki sabzi- Jack fruit/Kathal is a exotic vegetable,popular and enjoyed in many regions of India.It is a very good source of dietery fibre so a good option for vegetarians.
Ripe jackfruit/kathal is used as a fruit and the tender young jackfruit is used to make stir fries,curries, pulao and pickle .
A few days ago my daughter’s friend went to India on a holiday, and while returning from there he brought a jackfruit for us.
But unfortunately it was a ripe and sweet jackfruit and could not be used for cooking, so with a heavy heart, I had to trash it. But since he brought it with so much love, I thought of trying to use at least some part of it.
So I took out all the seeds from kathal and thought of making something out of them, so I tried to make a stir fry from the boiled seeds and it turned out to be pretty delicious!
few days back I have posted kathal curry , in that post I have mention how to clean the seeds and kathal. now don’t discard the seeds of kathal instead make this delicious kathal ke beej ki subzi
If you like jackfruit then do try these-
Kathal Ke Beej Ki Subzi , Jackfruit Seed Stir fry
- 2 cups Jackfruit/kathal
- 1 Tomatoes / Tamatar
- 2 Green Chillies / Hari Mirch
- 1/2 tsp Carom Seeds / Ajwain
- 1/2 tsp Cumin Seeds / Sabut Jeera
- 1/3 tsp Garam Masala Powder
- 1 tsp Red Chilli powder / Laal mirch powder
- 1 tsp Mango Powder / Amchoor Powder
- 1 tsp Coriander Powder / Dhaniya Powder
- To Taste Salt / Namak
- 6 Curry Leaves / Kadi Patta
- 3 tbsp Cooking Oil
- Wash the seeds properly and then pressure cook for 3 whistles with a glass of water and 1/4 tsp turmeric.
- Peel the skin properly and then chop them lengthwise into 6 pieces
- Heat oil in a pan add cumin and carom seeds.When start crackling add asafoetida,curry leaves and chopped green chilies.
- Add tomato and salt. cover and cook till tomato become soft.
- Now add all the dry spices and chopped seeds ,stir well. Add 2 tbsp water mix,cover and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Serve as a side dish with daal ,rice and roti