Khatta dhokla -A popular steamed and savoury snack made from rice and lentils -a specialty from Gujarat(India)
Khatta dhokla is a traditional and very healthy farsan(snack) of Gujrat but now popular around the world.It is one of the healthy and nutritional dish from Gujarat.
- Rice-1/2 cup
- Bengal gram(chana daal)-1/4 cup
- White lentil(dhuli safed urad ki daal)-1 tbsp
- Chopped raw mango -1.5 tbsp(optional)
- Sour yoghurt-1/2 cup
- Mint leaves- 1/2 cup
- Green chilies-4-5
- Ginger-1 inch
- Fenugreek seeds-1 tsp
- Refined oil-2.5 tbs
- Fresh coriander-2 tbs
- Mustard seeds-1/2 tsp
- Asafoetida-1/2 tsp
- Salt-1 tsp
- Turmeric-1/2 tsp
- Water-3/4 cup
- Fruit salt-(Eno)-1 tsp
- Wash and soak rice and both the daals in enough water for 5 hours.
- Drain the water,grind to make a paste with 3/4 cup water, green chilies and ginger.take out in a bowl.
- Add salt,turmeric,asafoetida, fenugreek seeds,mustard seeds and curd and mix well.
- Cover and let it ferment well for minimum 8 -10 hours.
- Now add 2 .5 tbsp refined oil,chopped mint and mango pieces in the batter and mix gently.
- Heat 2 glass water in a steamer,and grease 2 steamer plates with oil.
- When water in the steamer start boiling then add 1 tsp Eno fruit salt in the batter and mix properly.
- Pour the batter in 2 plates, arrange them in the steamer, cover and close the steamer properly and steam for 15 -20 minutes ,first on high heat then on medium heat.
- Check with a tooth pick ,if come out clean then remove from fire and let it cool down for 10 minutes.
- Cut into pieces and garnish with fresh coriander and grated coconut.
Serving suggestions-serve with coconut chutney, mint chutney or ketchup.