Gujarati tuvar daal -Simple and flavourful sweet and sour soup made with Pigeon pea lentil and Indian spices-speciality of the state of Gujarat
Tuvar daal/Arhar is the staple daal of North and South India. In south India Tuvar daal is used to make all type of rasams and sambhar,but in North part of India we don’t make many versions or variety with this Tuvar/Arhar daal,but arhar daal is the most favourite daal at my place,I use arhar daal to make Mango daal, Daal Punchwati, Daal Hariyali , Panchmel Daal,and my Community special Arhar daal.
Gujrati tuvar daal /surati daal is also my family’s favorite as it have the same sweet and sour taste like the daal we regularly cook at our house.
Prep time-5 min
Cooking time-20 min
- Tuvar daal /Arhar daal/pigeon peas-3/4 cup
- Moong daal- 1tbsp(optional)
- Peanuts/Moongphali -1.5 tbsp
- Green chili,chopped- 1tsp
- Ginger,grated- 1tsp
- Kharik/dry dates-3
- Curry leaves-15
- Jaggary/Gur – 2 tsp
- Turmeric powder-1/2 tsp
- Chili powder- 1tsp
- Coriander powder- 3/4 tsp
- Salt- to taste
- Ghee- 1 tbsp
- Cooking oil- 1 tbsp
- Mustard seeds/Rai- 1/2 tsp
- Cumin seeds/Jeera- 1/2 tsp
- Fenugreek seeds/methi dana- 10
- Cloves/Laung -2
- Bay leaf /Tejpatta-1
- Cinnamon /Daalchini-1/2 inch
- Whole red chilies-3
- Asafoetida/Hing- 1/3 tsp
- Curry leaves-6
- Lemon juice- 2 tsp
- Chopped coriander-2 tbsp
- Wash and soak daal 2-3 times in enough water.(Moong daal is added to give smoothness to the daal)
- Soak daal in 2 cups of water for 20 minutes.
- In the pressure cooker add the soaked daal along with the water in which it is soaked,peanuts,chopped tomatoes ,kharik and green chilies.
- Now pressure cook for 3 whistles or cook till cooked completely and become soft to touch.
- Mash the daal well with a laddle or whisk, and deseed and chop the kharik lengthwise.
- Now add around 4 cups of water,ginger and all the ingredients and spices listed .
- Mix and cook the daal on medium heat for 10 minutes.
- Tempering-heat oil and ghee in a small pan.add mustard ,cumin and fenugreek seeds.
- When seeds start crackling then add all the other ingredients of tempering and saute for few seconds.
- Pour the tempering over the boiling daal.
- Add chopped coriander and lemon juice.
- Serve hot.
Serving suggestion- serve with steamed rice and chapatis