Baigan ka bharta -Smoky brinjals mashed and cooked with tomato and Indian spices
Baigan ka bharta is a classic North Indian speciality. Baigan means brinjal and bharta means mashed.
Bringals are grilled over charcoal or in a tandoor and then the peeled flash is cooked with tomato,fresh herbs and mild spices.The smoky rustic flavour is the speciality of baigan ka bharta.
Every region have its own twist and version of making baigan ka bharta.You can also make bharta by grilling the brinjal in an oven or cooking it in microwave ,but you will get the authentic smoky flavour only by grilling it on open direct flame.
Baigan ka Bharta /Smoky Brinjal Mash
- 1 kg Brinjals / Baingan
- 3 Tomatoes / Tamatar
- 4 Green Chillies / Hari Mirch
- 2 inch Ginger / Adrak
- 2 tbsp Fresh Coriander / Cilantro / Hara Dhaniya
- 1 tsp Cumin Seeds / Sabut Jeera
- 1 tsp Red Chilli powder / Laal mirch powder
- 1/3 tsp Turmeric Powder / Haldi Powder
- 1 tsp Salt / Namak
- 3 Cloves / Lavang
- 1/2 tsp Garam Masala Powder
- 4 tbsp Cooking Oil
- Smear little oil on the brinjals and make 3 slits on each and stuff 2 cloves and some asafoetida in the slits.
- Place them directly on the gas stove burner and roast on medium flame,keep turning and rotating it so all the side get cooked evenly and properly.
- Cook till it become soft and the skin looks charred and shrinked and start peeeling off.
- Remove the cloves and dip the roasted brinjals in a bowl of water and peel off the skin completely and discard it, and then mash the pulp completely with a fork or chop finely.
- Heat oil in a pan and add cumin seeds,when they start crackling add the green chiles(slit lengthwise)
- Saute for few seconds and then add turmeric powder,chili powder,salt and chopped Ginger and chopped tomatoes.
- Cover and cook for 4-5 minutes or till tomatoes become soft.
- Now add mashed brinjals,mix and cover and cook again for approx 3 minutes.keep stirring in between
- Add garam masala powder and fresh coriander and mix well
- Garnish with ginger julienne's and serve hot.
1-Select fresh, big, and fleshy brinjals for making bharta.
2-Choose the brinjals which are light in weight in comparison to the size ,don't buy heavy brinjals.
3-Don't remove the stems before roasting,stems help in rotating the brinjal.
4-you can also use mustard oil in it if you like the flavour.