Moong Daal Tadka-Simple and flavourful yellow lentil preparation
Moong daal tadka /yellow lentil is a staple,every day kind of daal of Northern India. It is specially popular in Uttar Pradesh and Punjabi cuisine.Yellow moong daal is cooked and digested easily as compared to Tuvar,sabut moong ,chana daal etc.It paires well with rice ,roti and parathas.Dhuli moong daal is cooked at least once in my kitchen as every one loves this simple and delicious daal.I love the smooth and creamy texture of this moong daal which enhances the taste .
As moong daal is very light to digest and is very versatile to use you can make many varieties with it .Can make daal,snacks ,sweets etc with it .I often use it to make simple daal, Moong daal paneer chilla , Moong daal pakora kadi, Moong methi bhajiya , Ram Ladoo etc
The method of making moong daal tadka is quite easy and simple.First the daal is washed properly and soaked .Then the soaked daal is cooked with the basic spices ,tomatoes ,chili and ginger.you can either use a pressure cooker or a normal pan.But I prefer using a pressure cooker for quick cooking. then a tempering is added on top.you can use either ghee or any cooking oil of your choice but ghee is prefered in this prepartion .Ghee gives a wonderful aroma to the cooked daal.Temering of ghee ,cumin and asafoetida is added before serving.
Daal is an integral part of Indian cuisine and different daals are cooked as par individual tatse.In my house we love almost all the lentils , split and whole both types.I regularly cook Tuvar daal, Sabut Moong daal, The whole Malka masoor ki daal, Rajasthani special Pachratna daal is my favourite daal and The family favourite Daal Makhni with jeera rice .
Dhuli Moong Daal Tadka
- 1 cup Moong daal/Split skinned yellow lentil
- 3/4 cup Tomato / Tamatar chopped
- 2 Green Chillies / Hari Mirch chopped
- 1.5 tsp Ginger / Adrak
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric Powder / Haldi Powder
- 1/2 tsp Coriander Powder / Dhaniya Powder
- To taste Salt / Namak
- 3 tbsp Fresh Coriander / Cilantro / Hara Dhaniya
- 2 tsp Lemon Juice / Nimbu Ka Ras
- 3 tbsp Clarified Butter / Desi Ghee
- 1 tsp Cumin Seeds / Sabut Jeera
- 1/4 tsp Asafoetida / Hing powder
- 2 Dried Red Chilli, Whole
- 3/4 tsp Red Chilli powder / Laal mirch powder
- Wash and soak moong daal for about 15 minutes.(You can also cook it directly without soaking but soaking make it easier to cook and I prefer soaking the lentils before cooking)
- In the pressure cooker or in a pan add the soaked lentil,chopped tomato,chopped green chili,ginger , turmeric, salt and coriander powder and add about 3 and 1/2 cups of water and 1 tsp oil.
- Mix every thing and pressure cook on medium heat for 1-2 whistles(this time depends on the quality of lentil and the soaking time so cook till it become soft to touch,but make sure not to overcook it)
- When the pressure cool down then open the cooker and gently mix the lentil.
- Add some hot water to adjust the consistency and give it a nice boil.(if you want to serve with rice make it slightly thinner and if you are serving it with chapati or paratha then medium thick will be fine)
- Now switch of the flame and add lemon juice and chopped fresh coriander in the daal and mix.
- Heat ghee in a small pan and add the cumin seeds.
- As soon as the cumin start to crackle add the whole red chilies and stir.
- Remove the pan from the heat and add asafoetida and then the red chili powder.
- Pour the tempering over the cooked lentil.
- Gently mix and serve hot with steamed rice ,chapati or parathas