lentil nuggets dizzled with tangy Indian sauce and garnished with grated raddish and lime juice
Moong daal pakora /Ram laddo’s are very popular in Delhi and Uttar Pradesh (India). A very tangy and chatpata snack,yes you read it right- these moong daal pakora /ram ladoos are not at all a sweet dish , but a favourite chat item/street food, specially selled during winter season,that time you can find it in every road side chat corners or hawkers selling in streets and lanes.
To make moong daal pakora-Small nuggets made with ground yellow lentils(moong daal) bengal gram(chana daal) and spices,are deep fried and then date and tamarind chutney and green chutney is dizzled over them and then the final garnish-grated raddish and squeeze of lime juice .
It taste just awesome !the raddish and lemon juice garnish make all the difference!
Prep time-10 min
Cooking time-10 min
- Yellow lentils (moong daal)-3/4 cup
- Bengal gram (chana daal)-1/4 cup
- Green chilies -3
- Grated ginger-1 tsp
- Fresh coriander-2 tbsp
- Red chili powder- 1tsp
- Cumin seeds-1/2 tsp
- Grated raddish-1 cup
- Fresh coriander-2tsp
- Lemon juice-2tsp
- Chili powder-1/2 tsp
- Black salt-1/2 tsp
- Tamarind chutney-3/4cup
- Green chutney-3/4 cup
- Wash and soak both the lentils in enough water for approx.4 hours.
- Drain the water, wash again and grind both the lentils with green chilies and asafoetida .(the mixture should be thick and slightly coarse,don’t make it very smooth)
- Take out the mixture in a bowl and beat well with a whisk to make it lighter and fluffy.
- To check-take a small bowl of water and drop a small ball of batter in it,if it floats over the water then its ready to fry,if it sinks in the bottom then you need to beat it again till the drop floats on the water.
- When done add salt, cumin seeds and grated ginger, mix well
- Heat oil in a deep pan,wet your hands, take small portion of mixture in your hand and drop small size dumplings in hot oil.
- Deep fry on medium heat till golden in colour and then drain on a paper napkin.
- Take them in a seving plate,press the nuggets slightly.
- Drizzle tamarind chutney and green chutney over them.
- Now add grated raddish over it ,squeeze lemon juice and sprinkle some chili powder and black salt (or use table salt)
- Finally add some chopped coriander and serve with a tooth pick.