Gajar Ki Kanji- Tangy and refreshing fermented winter special Carrot drink
Gajar ki kanji-During winters when the black carrots are easily available in the market then this Gajar ki kanji or carrot kanji is the first thing which comes in the mind. This is used as a appetizing drink, as it is very good for digestion .
Gajar ki kanji is a sour fermented drink which is specially popular in the states of Punjab, Rajasthan and Uttar Pradesh.This is specially made on the festival of Holi and during winters.Though it is called Gajar ki kanji but few more vegetables can also be added in the kanji as per individual choice, commonly used vegetables are carrots, turnip, boiled potatoes, blanched cauliflower and beetroots.The kanji is used to drink and the vegetables added are used as pickle or side dish.
Usually this gajar ki kanji is made with black carrots which gives a beautiful deep purple colour to the kanji but you can also make this with any carrot available. As black carrots are not available here in Dubai so I used red carrots and to give a nice colour to the kanji I have added few pieces of beetroots.
Ist pic kanji is made with black carrot and the second pic kanji made with red carrots with a pieca of beetroot for colour
Mustard powder, black salt, asafoetida and chili powder are added in the water.After mixing the spices and vegetables the jar is covered with a muslin cloth and kept aside for about 4-5 days to ferment .The fermenting time depends upon the heat in the climate.If available try making this kanji in an earthen pot for the authentic flavor and feel.
Deep fried lentil nuggets/ Daal pakoras are also added in this sour kanji to make the popular Rajasthani dish kanji vada which is also made on the festival of Holi .
Do try these recipes with kanji
Red Carrot and Beetroot Kanji
Gajar Ki Kanji
- 3 Carrots
- 2 tbsp Beetroot sliced
- 3/4 cup Turnip optional
- 2.5 Tbsp Mustard seeds/ rai
- 1.5 tbsp Red chili powder
- 1.5 tsp Black Salt/ kala Namak
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric/ haldi
- 1/4 tsp Asafoetida/ Hing
- Salt to taste
- Wash and peel carrots and slice into medium thick batons.
- Boil water in a big pan and when it start to boil add the carrots and beetroot and switch off the flame and wait for 5 minutes(you can skip this step and directly use raw carrot and vegetables in kanji)
- Take a glass jar and add 1.5 liter water and all the spices and mix well.
- Now add the vegetables and keep the jar in a warm place.
- When the water become sour its ready to use.(it may take 4-8 days to ferment )
- You can serve the kanji as an appetizer or beverage . Carrots can be served with kanji or as a salad