Vermicelli and milk dessert – Eid special
Sheer Khorma or Sheer Khurma is a Rich mughlai dessert made with fine vermicelli ,nuts and milk .Its a must have dessert for Muslims on the occasion of EID. The word Sheer stands for milk in Sanskrit and Persian and khurma means -dates.
The consistency of Sheer khurma is not as thick as kheer ,its on thinner side as compared to kheer so you can drink it . As it is specially made during festival so its a rich dessert ,a good quantity of nuts are added in it in which dates and chironji/chiroli are a must in it.
There are many versions of making sheer khurma with just little variations .I have used fine pre roasted vermicelli to make this ,but then again just roasted them in ghee just to enhance the flavor,as they are pre roasted so no need to roast for too long ,but if you are using the plain one then roast till they become golden in colour .
For making Sheer khurma first the milk have to boiled for few minutes then all the nuts and vermicelli are roasted separately in ghee to enhance the flavour, then the roasted vermicelli is cooked in milk and after some time sugar and nuts are added in it.you can use either fresh dates or soaked pitted dry dates in it but don’t skip it as addition of dates gives sheer korma a very sweet flavour and colour,but if you have fussy eaters at home then can grind dates and add the pulp.
I love to make different types of kheer and have shared the recipes of – Chawal ki kheer, Daliya kheer the quick and healthy -Bottle gourd/lauki ki kheer and a delicious combination of mango and vermicelli- mango sevai halwa
You can serve it on any festive occasion and in any season, can serve hot or cold ,taste great both ways.You can garnish Sheer Khurma with silvar foil/vark,sliced pistachio and saffron strands to make it a festive special dish.
Sheer Khurma Recipe /Sheer Korma
- 1 Lit Whole Milk / Doodh
- 60 gms Vermicelli / Sevai Fine
- 1/2 cup Sugar / Chini
- 15 Almonds / Badam Sliced
- 1.5 tbsp Chiroli / Chironji
- 15 Pistachio / Pista Chopped
- 1/3 tsp Cardamom Powder / Elaichi Powder
- A pinch of Saffron / Kesar
- 1.5 tsp Rose Water / Gulab Jal (optional)
- 2.5 tbsp Clarified Butter / Desi Ghee
- 6 Dates / Khajoor Sliced
- Add milk in a pan and let it boil for 5 minutes on medium heat
- In a pan add 1 tbsp of ghee and the chopped nuts and roast on low heat till they become light golden,remove from the pan and keep aside.
- In the same pan add 1.5 tbsp of ghee and the vermicelli and roast on low flame for few seconds.
- Now add the boiled milk and chopped dates in the roasted vermicelli and cook for about 5 minutes.
- Now add sugar ,roasted nuts and saffron and simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Add cardamom powder and switch off the flame.
- When it cool down then add rose water(Its optional)
- Garnish with sliced pistachio ,silver foil,and saffron strands
- Serve hot or cold.