Sabudana khichdi- Tapioca pearl,potato and peanut pilaf-perfect recipe for fasting
Sabudana khichdi is the most preferred fasting recipe in North India. Though It is a recipe from Maharashtrian cuisine but is now very popular everywhere in India .Many Restaurants serve sabudana khichdi as a breakfast menu and during Navratri and other fasting days.
Sabudana/sago/Tapioca pearls are rich in carbs so give instant energy and make your stomach full for a long time so it is a very popular fasting food. Sabudana ,potato and peanuts with few spices makes this wonderful pilaf which is quite easy to make and taste awesome.
TIPS To Make Perfect Sabudana Khichdi-
- First of all you need to soak the sabudana perfectly, for this add just enough water (wash the sabudana and soak in equal quantity of water, i.e for 1 cup of sabudana add 1 cup of water or 3/4 cups(it depend on the quality of sabudana)and soak overnight or minimum for at least 8 hours.
- If By chance you have added more water then required then drain the soaked sabudana on a colander and then spread the sabudana on a thick kitchen towel for few hours so the cloth will absorb the excess moisture.
- Check soaked sabudana by pressing between your thumb and finger ,if there is no hardness in the center then your sabudana is soaked perfectly and is ready to cook. If the center is hard then sprinkle some water and soak for few more hours.
- You can use whole peanuts ,crushed or powdered peanuts ,depending on your choice ,I personally use crushed peanuts as it gives a nice crunch. There is no need to roast and removing the skin of peanuts.
- When you cook then after mixing and stir frying all the ingredients, do cover and cook on low heat till sabudana become translucent and shiny.I have seen many people just mix and saute the khichdi and serve ,then the sago pearl look white and taste very raw ,so you should cover and cook the khichdi and wait till the sabudana pearls turn translucent and shiny.
- Sabudana Vada
- Batayacha Kees
- Moongphali aloo ki sabzi
- Rajgiri ki poori aur Jeera aloo
- Vrat ki ras wale aloo ki sabzi
- Phool makhana Kheer