Sabudana Khichdi -A stir fried snack of sago (tapioca) pearls, peanuts, potato and indian spices.
This is a favourite snack of me and my daughter ,I usually make masala sabudana khichdi. but today I am posting both the versions -my daughters favourite masala khichdi and the recipe to eat during fasting.
For making perfect sabudana khichdi ,you need to soak the sabudana perfectly, for this add just enough water (wash the sabudana and soak in equal quantity of water, i.e for 1 cup of sabudana add 1 cup of water)and soak overnight or minimum for at least 8 hours ,and cook till sabudana become translucent.
- Soaked sabudana /Tapioca pearls-1.5 cup
- Boiled peas-3 tbls
- Tomato-1 (small)
- Green chilli-2
- Chopped ginger-1/2 t.s
- Lemon juice- 1tbls
- Salt-1/2 t.s
- Sugar-a pinch
- Turmeric-1/4 t.s
- Chilli flakes-1/2 t.s
- Curry leaves-few
- Cumin seeds-1/2 t.s
- Oil – 2 tbl s
- Peel and chop potato into small pieces.deseed the tomato and chop into small pieces.
- Heat oil in a pan, add cumin seeds,when start crckling then add curry leaves and chopped potatoes.
- Stir and cover and cook for 1 minutes so potatoes get cooked .then add peas and cover and cook for 1 more minute.
- Now add chopped green chillies and turmeric.stir
- Add sabudana,salt.chilli flakes,ginger and sugar,stir fry for 2 minutes,
- Cover the pan and cook for a minute on low heat.
- stir fry till sabudana become translucent.
- Now add lemon juice ,deseeded chopped tomatoes,and fresh coriander,mix well.
- Serve hot .
VRAT KI KHICHDI
- Sabudana-1.5 cup
- Green chilli-2
- Chopped ginger -1/2 t.s
- Crushed peanuts -3 tbls
- Lemon juice -1 tbls
- Salt -to taste
- Sugar- a pinch of
- Pepper powder-1/2 t.s
- cumin seeds-1/2 t.s
- Oil-2 tbls
- Chop potatoes in small pieces.
- Heat oil in a pan ,add cumin ,when it start crackling add peanuts and potatoes,mix.
- Cover and cook on low flame for 1.5 minutes ,keep stirring in between.
- Add green chillies ,stir, then add sabudana ,salt ,pepper powder,sugar and salt.
- stir fry for 2 minutes.
- Cover the pan for 1-2 minutes and cook on slow flame.
- Now stir fry for a minute or till sabudana become translucent.
- Now add lemon juice and fresh coriander and serve hot.
Serving suggestions-serve with fruit juice or buttermilk.
- * you can also use boiled and cubed potatoes and skip the frying process or can skip adding potatoes
- You can add crushed peanuts or powdered peanuts or a mix of both ,depends on individual choice.
- Try to get good quality of sabudana, if you get thick white starchy water while washing then it is not of good quality,if you wash and get very light colour water then it is of good quality.if the sabudana is not of good quality it will surely become sticky and soggy while cooking