Sabudana khichdi for fasting – Tapioca pearl,potato and peanut pilaf-perfect recipe for fasting
Sabudana khichdi is the most preferred fasting recipe in North India. Though It is a recipe from Maharashtrian cuisine but is now very popular everywhere in India .Many Restaurants serve sabudana khichdi as a breakfast menu and during Navratri and other fasting days.
Sabudana/sago/Tapioca pearls are rich in carbs so give instant energy and make your stomach full for a long time so it is a very popular fasting food. Sabudana ,potato and peanuts with few spices makes this wonderful pilaf which is quite easy to make and taste awesome.
TIPS To Make Perfect Sabudana Khichdi-
- First of all you need to soak the sabudana perfectly, for this add just enough water (wash the sabudana and soak in equal quantity of water, i.e for 1 cup of sabudana add 1 cup of water or 3/4 cups(it depend on the quality of sabudana)and soak overnight or minimum for at least 8 hours.
- If By chance you have added more water then required then drain the soaked sabudana on a colander and then spread the sabudana on a thick kitchen towel for few hours so the cloth will absorb the excess moisture.
- Check soaked sabudana by pressing between your thumb and finger ,if there is no hardness in the center then your sabudana is soaked perfectly and is ready to cook. If the center is hard then sprinkle some water and soak for few more hours.
- You can use whole peanuts ,crushed or powdered peanuts ,depending on your choice ,I personally use crushed peanuts as it gives a nice crunch. There is no need to roast and removing the skin of peanuts.
- When you cook then after mixing and stir frying all the ingredients, do cover and cook on low heat till sabudana become translucent and shiny.I have seen many people just mix and saute the khichdi and serve ,then the sago pearl look white and taste very raw ,so you should cover and cook the khichdi and wait till the sabudana pearls turn translucent and shiny.
- Sabudana Vada
- Batayacha Kees
- Moongphali aloo ki sabzi
- Rajgiri ki poori aur Jeera aloo
- Vrat ki ras wale aloo ki sabzi
- Phool makhana Kheer
★ Have you tried this recipe? Click on the stars ★ in the recipe card to let us know your feedback! If you tried it then You can also click the recipe pic and share on Instagram with hashtag #maayeka
- 1.5 cup Tapioca Pearls / Sago / Sabudana
- 1 Potatoes / Aloo boiled
- 2 Green Chillies / Hari Mirch chopped
- 1 tsp Ginger / Adrak chopped
- 1/2 cup Peanuts / Moongphali
- 1.5 tbsp Lemon Juice / Nimbu Ka Ras
- To taste Salt / Namak
- 1/3 tsp Pepper Powder / Kali Mirch
- 1 tsp Cumin Seeds / Sabut Jeera
- 1/2 tsp Sugar / Chini
- 3 tbsp Clarified Butter / Desi Ghee
- 3 tbsp Fresh Coriander / Cilantro / Hara Dhaniya chopped
- Wash sabudana 2 times to remove the excess starch and then soak it in water ,the water level should not be 1/4 inch above the sabudana (you may need about 2.25 cups of water to soak sabudana,if you add too much water then sabudana will become sticky)
- Soak it overnight or minimum for 8 hours for best result.
- Peel and chop potato into small cubes.
- Crush the peanuts or just grind to make a coarse powder,it depends on your choice
- Take A big bowl and add soaked sabudana,salt ,sugar,pepper powder, ginger and lemon juice and mix well.
- Heat ghee or oil in a heavy bottom or non stick pan.
- Now add cumin and green chilies in the pan and let it crackle.
- Add crushed peanuts in the pan and saute on low heat till they become golden in colour.
- Add boiled cubed potatos and pinch of salt and saute for few seconds.
- Add the sabudana mixture and mix well.
- Cover and cook on low heat for about 5 minutes ,keep stirring in between 2-3 times so it will not stick and burn at the bottom.
- After 5 minutes the sabudana will become translucent and shiny,then its done.
- Now add fresh coriander and mix.
- Serve sabudana khichdi hot.
- Serving suggestions- serve with curd and mint chutney
- Try to get good quality of sabudana, if you get thick white starchy water while washing then it is not of good quality,if you wash and get very light colour water then it is of good quality.if the sabudana is not of good quality it will surely become sticky and soggy while cooking.
- When you soak sabudana in water then the water level should not be more then 1/4 inch above the sabudana else it may turn sticky.
- you can also add fried potato cubes instead of adding boiled potato cubes.
- Can add mango powder instead of lemon juice.
- You can add whole, crushed peanuts or powdered peanuts or a mix of both ,depends on individual choice.
- Overnight soaking of sabudana gives best results as compared to saoking for 2-3 hours.
- you can also soak sabudana and then keep it refrigerated for a week,it also give nice result.