Golpapdi- A traditional dessert made with wheat flour,ghee and Jaggary
Golpapdi or Gur papdi is a popular and traditional dessert or sweet from Gujarat which is specially made during winter. Golpapdi / kansaar is also popular in Sindhi community as sukhdi and in my home town Mathura we call this –kasaar. It is quite an easy recipe which is great as a dessert, a healthy recipe for kids lunchbox and good as a travel food and have a long shelf life .
A good amount of ghee, jaggary, dry fruits and sesame seeds goes into it which gives warmth and energy to our body,sesame seeds and nuts are very good for health as they are rich in calcium ,fat and minerals.
As A Post Natal Food-
You can also add warm spices and herbs into it like nutmeg powder,dry ginger powder,clove powder, fried and crushed edible gum/ gond, dry grated coconut etc according to your choice if making for new mothers or lactating mothers.
I have made the simple basic version but you can adjust it as per your choice. The amount of jaggary can also be slightly adjusted according to your taste preference.
If you are looking for few winter special recipes then try-
- Amla ki Chyawanprash style chutney
- Date and Almond Milk
- Harira/ Gud ki path
- Shalgum Ka Bharta
- Bathua Ka Raita
Golpapdi, Sukhdi, Kasaar
- 1 cup Whole Wheat Flour / Atta
- 1 cup Clarified Butter / Desi Ghee
- 1 cup Jaggary / Gud * grated
- 1/2 cup sesame seeds /til
- 1/3 cup Mixed Dry fruits/mewa chopped
- 1/4 tsp Cardamom Powder / Elaichi Powder *
- First of all grate / crush or chop the jaggary into fine pieces, don't add big pieces as they will not melt well and will turn into soft jaggary lumps.
- In a heavy bottom pan add the ghee.
- When ghee melts completely add the wheat flour.
- Roast wheat flour on low heat till it become golden and start giving a nice aroma
- Now add sesame seeds and the chopped nuts and stir for a minute.
- Now remove the pan from the flame .
- Quickly add the grated jaggary and cardamom powder and mix it immediately.(if you will not mix it quickly then it become hard and chewy)
- Now spread the mixture in a greased plate and level it with a spatula.
- Sprinkle some toasted sesame seeds over it and press gently.
- Let it rest for 5 minutes and then cut into squares pieces but don't remove them from the plate till they cool down completely.
- When it come to room temperature then remove the square pieces and store in a air tight box.
- You can also add 1.5 tsp dry ginger powder /saunth ,1/3 cup grated dry coconut, 2 tbsp of crushed gond, 1/4 tsp nutmeg powder,1/2 tsp cardamom powder in it if you wish.
- The amount of jaggary can be adjusted according to your taste ,can add 2-3 tbsp more or less.