Restaurant Style mixed vegetables cooked in a mildly spiced creamy sauce
vegetable makhanwala is a popular punjabi dish which is made with a medley of vegetables and then cooked in a creamy gravy. its a popular choice for all festive occasions and each restaurants menu card.
I often make it at home but in asimple way which is quick ,easy and taste awesome .you can aslo add some fried cashews in it if you want to make it more rich and festive
Cooking time-15 min
French Beans – 150 gms
Carrots / Gajar -150 gms
Cauliflower /Phool gobhi -150 gms
Green Peas/Matar, boiled- 3/4 cup
Potato / Aloo – 2 (small)
Kasoori Methi – 1tsp
Turmeric Powder – 1/3 tsp
Chili Powder – 1tsp
Salt – to taste
Sugar – 1tsp
- Butter- 2 tbsp
- Bay leaf / Tejpatta-1
- Green cardamom / Hari Elaichi – 2
- Cloves / Lavang – 2
- Ginger / Adrak, grated – 1 tsp
To make Sauce-
- Milk – 2 cup
- Fresh cream – 1.5 cup
- Tomato ketchup – 7 tbsp
- Refined flour/maida – 1.5 tbsp
- Scrape and make thin and long pieces of carrot (batons).
- Chop cauliflower and french beans in long slices.
- Peel and chop potato in thin and long slices.
- Heat enough water in a pan and add chopped beans and boil for 5 minutes.
- Now add chopped cauliflower and carrot and cook till 90 % done.
- Drain the vegetables and keep aside.
- Deep fry the potatoes till golden in colour and keep aside.
- Take a bowl and add all the ingredients listed under “to make sauce”,and mix well.
- In a heavy bottom pan add butter, bay leaf, green cardamom, cloves and ginger and saute.
- Now add the boiled vegetables and crushed kasoori methi and saute for a minute.
- Add turmeric, chili powder and salt, mix.
- Pour the prepared sauce, fried potatoes and sugar in the pan and mix.
- Cover the pan with a lid and simmer for 10 minutes,or cook till you see some fat floating on top of the curry.
- Serve hot with jeera rice, naan or parathas.
1- You can also add some fried cashew in the curry.
2- You can add tandoori food colour instead of turmeric powder.