Methi Corn Malai Curry-Corn and fresh fenugreek cooked in a mild and rich curry.
Corn methiwala /Methi corn malai or Methi makai malai is a very popular North Indian style curry. The slightly sweet taste of corn and cashew blend very well with fenugreek in this curry. Though it is made in a quite rich gravy but I have skipped adding cream in it and just added cashew paste and milk but you can add cream if you wish.Boiled fresh corn or frozen or tinned corn can be used to make Methi corn malai.
I prefer to use fresh fenugreek/methi if available in the season but you can also use dried kasoori methi to make this ,just add the soaked dried fenugreek in water for 10 minutes ,drain the water and add the soaked methi in the curry. Methi corn malai is served as a side dish with naan, roti or rice preparations
I have also posted few corn recipes ,if you want to try-
Methi Corn Malai, Fenugreek and Corn Curry
Corn and fresh fenugreek cooked in a mild and rich curry.
Servings: 4 people
- 2 cup/80 gm Fresh Fenugreek / Hari Methi
- 1.5 cup Corn Kernels / Makai Dana
- 4 small 350 gms Tomatoes / Tamatar
- 15 Cashew Nuts / Kaju
- 1 cup Whole Milk / Doodh
- 2 tbsp Cream
- 1/4 tsp Cardamom Powder / Elaichi Powder
- 1/3 tsp Turmeric Powder / Haldi Powder
- 3/4 tsp Red Chilli powder / Laal mirch powder
- 1.5 tsp Sugar / Chini
- 1/2 tsp Garam Masala Powder
- 2 tbsp Cooking Oil
- 2 tbsp Butter, Unsalted / Makkhan
- Remove tender shoots and leaves from the the thick methi stems.
- Chop methi and apply a tsp of salt ,cover and keep aside for 10 minutes.
- Now squeeze the methi leaves and wash the leaves very well with freash water .
- Pressure cook corn kernels with a cup of water for 3 whistles then drain and keep aside.
- Chop cashews and soak them in 3 tbsp milk for 15 minutes or micro for a minute.
- Grind the soaked cashew and make a fine paste.
- Pressure cook the chopped tomato for a whistle and grind to make a fine puree.(don't add water in tomato while boiling)
- Heat oil and 1 tbsp butter in a pan.Add cumin seeds in it,when cumin start crackling add cardamom powder.
- Now add chopped fenugreek leaves/methi and saute for a minutes
- Now add tomato puree,salt, chili powder and turmeric powder.
- Cook till oil starts to separate from the tomato masala.
- Now add cashew paste in it and cook for a minute.
- simmer for 2-3 minutes.then add cream and mix
- Cover the pan and cook for a minutes on low heat.
- Serve hot with naan, roti or paratha.
- If fresh methi is not available then use 4 tbsp of kasoori methi(dried fenugreek leaves).soak it in water for 10 minutes.discard the water ,was again and add it instead of fresh methi.
- You can use cream instead of mawa or skip using both.
- Home made quick mawa- Take 3 tbsp of milk powder,add 1/2 tsp of ghee ,mix it ,now add some milk to make a soft dough,wrap the dough in cling film and keep refrigerated for 10 minutes.take out and grate or mash to use .
- You can add some more milk or water if gravy thicken