Al Yakhni-Kashmiri Doodhi Yakhni
Bottle gourd curry cooked in yogurt and aromatic spices
Servings: 5 people
- 400 grams Bottle Gourd / Lauki
- 1 cup Yogurt / Dahi
- 1.5 tsp Fennel Seeds / Saunf
- 1.5 tsp Ginger Powder / Saunth
- 3/4 tsp Garam Masala Powder
- 4 Cloves / Lavang
- 2 Black Cardamom / Badi Elaichi
- 1 tsp Cumin Seeds / Sabut Jeera
- 1/4 tsp Asafoetida / Hing powder
- 1/3 tsp Turmeric Powder / Haldi Powder
- 1 tsp Red Chilli powder / Laal mirch powder
- 1/2 tsp Salt / Namak
- 2 tsp Cooking Oil
- Peel and chop bottle gourd in big pieces.
- Deep fry in medium hot oil till cooked and soft.(traditionally mustard oil is used in kashmiri cooking,but you can use any refined oil)
- Heat oil in a pan add cumin asafoetida,cloves and cardamom.
- When become golden, add churned curd and stir fry for 1 minute
- Add all the spices and cook for 1 minute,keep stirring.
- Now add 1/2 cup water (or add 1cup water if you want little thin gravy)and fried bottle gourd and cook coverd for 2-3 minutes on slow flame.
- Garnish with fresh coriander.
- Serve hot
Note-addition of turmeric is optional and you can substitute red chilli powder with green chillies . Serving suggestions-serve with naan,roti,or with boiled rice
Calories: 320kcal | Carbohydrates: 68g | Protein: 8g | Fat: 14g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 6g | Monounsaturated Fat: 3g | Cholesterol: 2mg | Sodium: 453mg | Potassium: 1106mg | Fiber: 29g | Sugar: 11g | Vitamin A: 9% | Vitamin C: 16% | Calcium: 63% | Iron: 62%