Gajar Mirch ka kachumbar -Stir fried carrots, peppers and cabbage – a modified version of the Gujarati ‘Kachumbar’
Gajar mirch ka kachumbar is a simple stir fry of carrot and chilies. Addition of cabbage is optional. lemon juice and sugar makes it tangy and delicious. It is usually served with snacks and farsans in Gujarat . You can also serve this as a side dish with main course..
Gajar Mirch ka Kachumbar
- 400 gm Carrot
- 150 gm Cabbage
- 10 Mildly piquant green chillies
- 1.5 tbsp Lemon Juice
- 2 tbsp Sugar
- 1 TSP Salt
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric/ Haldi
- 2 tbsp Cooking Oil
- 1 tsp Mustard Seeds/ Rai
- 10 Curry Leaves
- Scrape the carrots and then slice into thin strips.Make thin lengthwise slices of the green chillies and grate the cabbage.
- Heat oil in pan, add mustard seeds and asafoetida, and when it starts crackling, add curry leaves and green chillies and saute for a few seconds.
- Now add turmeric, stir and then add carrot and salt, mix, cover and cook for 1 minute or till half cooked .
- Add grated cabbage and mix. Then add sugar and lemon juice.
- Stir fry for a few seconds to mix all and to dry up the extra moisture.
- Serving suggestions – Works best as a side with dhokla, daal, rice or as a salad.